Historically Appropriate Masonry Restoration & Custom Plaster
The ThermaTech System
Founder of Preservation Works Ltd., Rob Wozniak, gently removes 100+ years of carbon deposits while preserving the stone’s natural patina, which avoids an over-cleaned or sandblasted look that a regular power washer might create.
Natural Hydraulic Lime (typically NHL 3.5) mortar should be used & cement should be avoided for historic homes or buildings made of brick or stone.
We not only sell, but we use these binders/specialty masonry products imported from Europe that have been used for thousands of years in traditional building & are now being used in modern & “green” construction due to their high quality, reasonable cost & minor environmental impact!
- HISTORICALLY APPROPRIATE, which is important when repairing a historic structure for durability & to visually match the new to the old as much as possible
- SELF-HEALING– has the ability to close cracks, further protecting the building from water intrusion or more dramatic damage to mortar
- VAPOR PERMEABLE- allows moisture to evaporate, preventing mold generation & ensuring bricks won’t crack/break during freeze/thaw cycles
- LESS COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH than cement- acts as a buffer between bricks; as bricks move & settle, mortar shifts to accommodate changes, keeping bricks intact
- HIGHER BOND STRENGTH than cement, which protects from seepage & erosion
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY– “green” product, made entirely from and by nature
Using our knowledge & skills from historic work, we apply similar techniques & materials for new construction offering clients a rich, natural and healthy aesthetic in their home, a soulful alternative to sterile, machine-made construction
- Removal of Portland Cement, Brickcoat, harmful paint & water-proofing
- Application of lime wash, Potassium silicate, stucco, masonry paint, stains & water repellents
- Interior & Exterior (Stucco) Application
- Use of Natural Hydraulic Lime (NHL)
- Decorative & Ornamental Plaster
- Custom finishes & pigment options
- Mortar analysis & matching
- Careful removal of mortar & replacement with historically appropriate mortar
- Use of NHL, local sand, clay & pigments
- Different finishes & colors available
Restoration & Preservation
- Stone & Brick repointing & tuckpointing
- Crack repair
- Abatement of (salt) Efflorescence
We offer historically appropriate recommendations & solutions for masonry restoration & repair.
"Preservation Works displayed extensive knowledge in his area of expertise, completed the work in a timely and efficient manner, and was a pleasure to work with. He also displayed patience and understanding in working with the billing for the project, which was somewhat extended due to the layers between our non-profit organization, the general contractor, and the subcontractors."
"Preservation Works is not only exceptionally skilled, he is also very thoughtful and creative about how to best approach challenging issues in masonry and historic preservation. As to Mr. Wozniak’s character, we have only good things to say about him. He has been very easy to work with and is moderate in his approach. He never seeks advantage in any way. You can put complete trust in this person's integrity."
"I used Preservation Works Ltd, for a small job a few years ago and more recently a larger job which they just finished. I am thrilled with their work and professionalism. Rob, the owner, truly cares about the work he is doing and really goes above and beyond."
"Rob is devoted to doing good work in his community - whether to provide a client expert restoration services or a serene urban yoga studio! He's a most personable fellow and if you should find yourself in need his restoration expertise, you will find a comfortable working relationship with Rob."
Get in Touch
It is our experience that good working relationship with our clients is ultimately what determines excellence & satisfaction. We strive to collaborate with clients’ ideas & budgets blending our professional skills, creative talents & personal inputs to result in successful projects & happy customers who refer us to others and call on us again!